fixing kc556b slides

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
alwaysFlOoReD
Your Location: red deer, ab

fixing kc556b slides

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

So I went to a few stores looking for steel strapping/banding. I thought it was a good idea but I guess the times are a changing....only plastic nowadays! I decided that I would try using an old hacksaw blade and grind off the teeth to make a slide removal tool. I put the blade into a vise and ground the teeth

worked great as long as you use a good quality blade, a cheap one shatters when you try to bend it slightly on the end like you need to do to make the tool.

Here is both sides of an original stop

While I was making the tool I saw the hole at the end of the blade and thought it looked close to the same size as the hole in the slide. I ground the blade to size and length

Give it a slight bend to match the original stop

The new piece goes through the hole and I used a nail as a rivet

The "rivet" has to be peened quite flat or the drawer won't close properly. I used a punch with a 1/4" round flat end to flatten the nail and ended up using my 16 oz finishing hammer to pound it flat enough. I used a scrap piece of 1/4" flat stock under the rivet head while peening.

I fixed 4 slides and my box is working like new again!

Richard
KR537D
Your Location: Georgia

Re: fixing kc556b slides

Post by KR537D »

Nice job! Let's see a pic of your box.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Re: fixing kc556b slides

Post by Gregorygoard »