KRA380 missing parts?

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
1pc@atime
Your Location: NJ

KRA380 missing parts?

Post by 1pc@atime »

First post here.

I recently bought a KRA59A/KRA380 combo off of CL, the box is in well used but mostly functional condition.
The top box is fine other than a few dings in the front cover. The bottom box won't lock/unlock with the key.
The former owner had a small hole drilled in the top of the cabinet, and up through the back of the top box.
The wire is attached to the vertical lock bar in the back of the bottom box, run up through small pin holes through the top box with a washer tied on the end.
Pulling on the wire unlocks the bottom box, the key does nothing.
While its a novel way of unlocking the box, it required hooking the washer on the edge of the piano hinge on the top box to keep it locked.
A further look showed that what ever goes between the lock cylinder and the back of the box is missing.
I have a key and tumbler, with just a screw in the back of the lock cylinder. The lock rod and spring in the back of the box is untouched.
I talked to a local dealer and was told that they don't service parts for older boxes.
(According to the dealer the box was made in 1980).
Does anyone have a pic and some measurements so I can fabricate the correct rod and lock lever?
Attachments
KRA 59A / KRA 380 Combo - 1980
KRA 59A / KRA 380 Combo - 1980
0118161603-01.jpg (222.39 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
1pc@atime
Your Location: NJ

Re: KRA380 missing parts?

Post by 1pc@atime »

I emailed Snap On online, I was told that no parts are available for my box. A local dealer told me the same thing.
No parts listed or available.
I can make the rod if I have some measurements or a good pic of one.
jlindy21
Your Location: erie Pennsylvania

Post by jlindy21 »

Hello do you still have this box I recently decided to restore my grandfathers box and I am kinda lost as to how the lock mechanism goes together on the kra-380 lower box. I do have the bar you inquired about if you are still looking for dimension?
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »