kc556b roll cab

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
alwaysFlOoReD
Your Location: red deer, ab

kc556b roll cab

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

Good day all,
I recently acquired a used 5 drawer roll cab with the the following stamped in the lower left front corner;
Snap-On Tools
KC556B
Canada

RH0336

Are friction slides still available?
Is there a guide to how the letter/numbering sequences = year?
I found a page;
http://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalog ... gPage=2420
and another;
http://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalog ... loggedin=0
It seems that it was made in the 70's but I can find no other reference to KC556B on the web. In fact I find no reference to a KC series? Any info gratefully accepted.
Thanks,

Richard
Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snapmom

Re: kc556c roll cab

Post by snapmom »

Give Snap on a call. If they do not have any that size, you can order some longer one's and cut them down
macother
Your Location: United States

Post by macother »

When you're asking Snap~On for a friction slide, you'll get better results if you have the physical dimensions of the slide itself. Also, there are several KR series boxes from that era with similar or same sized slides, like the KR531 and KR533, and KR377. Or you could use the one's from a KR307, but they're slightly longer. The height of the slides matter during that era, so know that dimension also.

As far as what boxes were produced in and labeled Canada, I may not be informed well enough to speak, but I'll offer this. I've run across several boxes and roll cabs over the years that were labeled CANADA, and many small kit cases, like the 222's and 223's. I've found receipts and factory inspection tags that refer to Mimico, Long Branch and Concord. All of these locations are in Ontario, near Toronto. Oldest I've seen that I can date was a small case from Mimico dated 1961. I don't run across the newer stuff, but I know the plant in Concord was still forging tools until less than 10 years ago. I've also run across several CANADA catalogs, and there are a few minor differences in the tools that are offered.

Also, take a look at the 1970 50th Anniversary gold box, I think it's the same.
alwaysFlOoReD

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

From Snap-on;
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Snap-on Tools. I do apologize, but this is an older box and we no longer carry repair parts for it. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you.

Thanks,

Cindy Babb

Snap-on CUstomer Care Center
I'll get measurements and contact Snap-on again.
Thanks for the replies,

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD

Re: kc556b roll cab

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

Here's some pics of the bottom drawer slide;

I'll send them to Snap-On as well but I was wondering if anybody has fixed their slides. On mine the spring clip has broken off. Is there some simple replacement I can use and rivet in myself?
Thanks,

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

Well, it seems Snap-on can't help. They did send a "slide guide" attachment by e-mail but nothing in it seems like it will work for me. I will attempt to fix them myself. For anyone that needs the dimensions of slides if you go to my thread http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... ost4656338 and scroll to post 14 I put it in a .zip file. I would have put it in this forum but couldn't figure out how. If someone could figure that out and post it for me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

Here is the .zip file of the Snap-on "slide guide";
SLIDE GUIDE.zip
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Richard
alwaysFlOoReD

Post by alwaysFlOoReD »

So I went to a few stores looking for steel strapping/banding. I thought it was a good idea but I guess the times are a changing....only plastic nowadays! I decided that I would try using an old hacksaw blade and grind off the teeth to make a slide removal tool. I put the blade into a vise and ground the teeth

worked great as long as you use a good quality blade, a cheap one shatters when you try to bend it slightly on the end like you need to do to make the tool.

Here is both sides of an original stop

While I was making the tool I saw the hole at the end of the blade and thought it looked close to the same size as the hole in the slide. I ground the blade to size and length

Give it a slight bend to match the original stop

The new piece goes through the hole and I used a nail as a rivet

The "rivet" has to be peened quite flat or the drawer won't close properly. I used a punch with a 1/4" round flat end to flatten the nail and ended up using my 16 oz finishing hammer to pound it flat enough. I used a scrap piece of 1/4" flat stock under the rivet head while peening.

I fixed 4 slides and my box is working like new again!

Richard
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »