Lock assembly for KRA-300B?

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
cmb
Your Location: NH, USA

Lock assembly for KRA-300B?

Post by cmb »

Can anyone confirm which lock assembly I need to replace the lock on my 1963 KRA-300B? Someone over at GarageJournal mentioned part number 823037, which looks like it might still be available from Snap-On.

I'm assuming that the Y-series locks will not work in a box of this age, but I don't know for sure. Any further information about this would be helpful.

--Colin
cmb
Your Location: NH, USA

Re: Lock assembly for KRA-300B?

Post by cmb »

I went ahead and ordered 823037. It's the correct size, but that part number is only for the lock assembly itself, plus two keys. It doesn't come with any mounting hardware or the stepped bracket that the lock turns to engage the door.

My old lock assembly uses a spring clip to mount it, but the new one requires a 3/4"-24 panel nut. This is an unusual size and thread pitch, so it's not easy to find, but Snap-on does sell them individually with part number 8-337-3. It's $0.59 at the moment.

Edit: it also didn't come with the screw required to hold the lever to the back of the lock. The hole is tapped as 12-24, about 5/16" deep.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Re: Lock assembly for KRA-300B?

Post by Gregorygoard »