Consensus on stripping an old toolbox down to bare metal?

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.

Best way to strip an old box down to bare metal?

Chemical Solvent
25%
Electrolysis
No votes
Grinder with wire cup
No votes
Hand Sanding / Wire Brush
No votes
Soda blasting
50%
Other
25%

Total votes: 4

cludwin
Your Location: San Diego

Consensus on stripping an old toolbox down to bare metal?

Post by cludwin »

Hi guys,

This is my first post. Glad I found this site as it has a ton of useful information.
I wanted to ask a question regarding the best way to strip the old paint / rust off of an old box for restoration.
Lets assume for the sake of argument that it's a small toolbox like a KRA-65 so that it could easily fit into say a 5 gallon bucket.

The goal would be to bring the box down to bare metal for prime + paint nothing super fancy but you'd want it to look nice + be functional.
Lets say the box is in good shape but has some rough paint and is a little rusty.

Given the various different options what would be your approach / what has worked best for you in the past?

Thanks!
bsg
Your Location: southern california

Re: Consensus on stripping an old toolbox down to bare metal

Post by bsg »

rough paint and a little rust still makes for a nice collectible. when you strip-n-paint, the piece may look beautiful and the current market value may or may not be affected, but the collectible value now and in the future will be greatly diminished.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Re: Consensus on stripping an old toolbox down to bare metal?

Post by Gregorygoard »