X stamp on 1951 ratchet

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Tool Pants

X stamp on 1951 ratchet

Post by Tool Pants »

I bought this 71-M and was confused by the large X stamped under the selector, as I thought that is where the date code would be. Then I saw a funny looking I on the handle, which is the code for 1951.

J.A.F.E. thought the X might have been used to designate an exchange ratchet, before E was used. Anyone know if the X means anything?

Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Re: X stamp on 1951 ratchet

Post by Frank Murch »

I think the other stamp is 1940. My guess (Only a guess) is that it is sold to the government and carried not guarantee. The contracts for WWII manufacturing was cheap and limited
ghdiscman

Post by ghdiscman »

According to the Snap on official date codes, 1944 was E and 1945 was G. Emergency and Government respectively. I have not seen the X stamp before but will check with engineering.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »