Socket Box

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
JeepFan
Your Location: Panama City, Florida

Socket Box

Post by JeepFan »

On all the old small socket boxes I have came across, the top lid does not line up with the bottom. Did they actually line up when they were new?
snapmom

Re: Socket Box

Post by snapmom »

A pic would be nice. Sometimes the old one's get out of shape, you just have to bend them back.
JeepFan

Post by JeepFan »

Here are a couple. I tried pulling on the lid a little, but I'm afraid to break the hinge if I pull too hard.
Last edited by JeepFan on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

You have to pull hard, I have done lots of these, never broke one.
JeepFan

Post by JeepFan »

Any special technique that works good? They do seem to have a memory and snap back.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Just power it.
JeepFan

Post by JeepFan »

Power it is an interesting phrase. I ended up putting it on my bench and pushing down hard with my weight. I got it back and the hinges are still on there.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

I use to work where there was a full size diesel shop, I had the same problem, I was thinking I would break it. I took it to the shop foreman, who had arms like jack hammers, he just powered back into place, was amazed at the flex in the box. After that I did my own.
GregBow
Your Location: Seattle, WA

Post by GregBow »

snapmom wrote:I use to work where there was a full size diesel shop, I had the same problem, I was thinking I would break it. I took it to the shop foreman, who had arms like jack hammers, he just powered back into place, was amazed with crazy bulk at the flex in the box. After that I did my own.
I can confirm this. I've seen this done by a work buddy of mine. I was absolutely sure it would snap, but it didn't. I guess they were made to be handled like that.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »