1970 price for a socket?

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
fixerdave
Your Location: Victoria BC, Canada

1970 price for a socket?

Post by fixerdave »

I'll start by apologising for making my very first post a new thread with a question. Not a good introduction, I know.

That said, I just have a very specific question I'm hoping someone here has a quick answer to.

Ballpark estimate, back in the late 60's to early 70's, what would my father have paid for his Snap-On FS-261 3/8 drive 13/16 6-point socket?

Or, rather, if he had bought a single socket something like that, what would he have roughly paid? I expect he bought a set, not a single.

Why I'm asking... long story long:

My kid's elementary school is doing a "50 year" artifact thing (the school is 50 years old). Anyway, looking around for old stuff that won't break... I've got some of my father's automotive hand tools... Snap-on stuff, he was a Journeyman Mechanic in the day. A few little bits of this and that he managed to keep us kids from losing as we grew up.

I thought it would be cool to clean up a 3/8 drive socket then do a little write-up on how much it cost 50 years ago compared to today, then factor that in to hourly wages for a working mechanic.

I thought it would be an easy thing to find out but it appears Snap-On was in the habit of issuing separate catalogues and price lists. I found the catalogues via a google search that brought me here. No price lists though. Does anyone have an old price list kicking around?

Again, this is for an elementary school, not a doctoral thesis, so I don't need high accuracy nor supporting documentation. Just ballpark would be great.

Any information appreciated,

David...
snapy64

Re: 1970 price for a socket?

Post by snapy64 »

I have most of the price lists that Snap-on issued up to about 10 years ago when I retired - from the May 4, 1970 price list that socket sold for $1.39 and from the Snap-on web site it sells for $19.20 today. I hope this helps and good luck with the project
skipskip
Your Location: upstate NY USA

Post by skipskip »

Snappy64

Could you be so kind as to give me the 1970 price of a S711a ratchet?

thanks

Skip
snapy64

Post by snapy64 »

it shows $17.40
skipskip
Your Location: upstate NY USA

Post by skipskip »

thank you
fixerdave

Post by fixerdave »

snapy64 wrote:I have most of the price lists that Snap-on issued up to about 10 years ago when I retired - from the May 4, 1970 price list that socket sold for $1.39 and from the Snap-on web site it sells for $19.20 today. I hope this helps and good luck with the project
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. I'll post my write-up, such as it is, when it's done,

David..

P.S. http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Infl ... ulator.asp, an inflation calculator, says that '70s $1.39 would buy you $8.57 today. Thus, Snap-On prices are running at more than double the rate of inflation. Ouch.
fixerdave

Post by fixerdave »

As promised, here's the write-up.
I decided to forgo the hourly wage issue as it's just too hard to explain why Snap-On is charging twice as much now as inflation would suggest, while automated manufacturing can produce equivalent products for half the price.... it's inexplicable. :roll:

Oh, and yes, I guessed on that "26 piece set" line. It's for an elementary school :mrgreen:

Anyways...

Antiques Roadshow

Snap-On FS-261 13/16th 6-point Socket

This is a mechanic’s tool for fixing cars. This was bought by my grandfather in the 60’s. It is over 50 years old.

This socket is, or rather was, part of a set of tools that lets mechanics loosen or tighten the nuts and bolts that hold cars together. They come in different sizes, this one is 13/16th of 1 inch across. Back in the 60’s, cars, and most everything else made in Canada, came in ‘standard’ (SAE or the Society of Automotive Engineers.) sizes. Those sizes used fractions instead of decimals. 13/16th happens to be the size of old Chevy wheel nuts.

My grandfather used it when he was a Journeyman Mechanic. He worked for a Chevy car dealership doing warranty repairs. Back in those days, all the professional mechanics used Snap-On tools because they were the best. They were very expensive too, and even more expensive now. Today, this socket, by itself, costs $19.20 from Snap-On.

Because they cost so much, only professional mechanics bought Snap-On brand tools. People fixing their own cars used sockets that were much cheaper and not as good. The cheap sockets didn’t fit as well, and the walls were thicker, making them harder to use in tight places.

Today, because of modern manufacturing systems, a socket just as good as this one only costs about $4. Mechanics, both professional and those fixing their own cars, have a lot more choice. That’s a good thing because, of the original 26 piece set, my father only has 3 Snap-on sockets left. Over the last 50 years, he and his brother lost all the rest.

Again, thanks for the information,

David...
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »

Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо