F71-C Ratchet

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Aqualab
Your Location: Upstate NY

F71-C Ratchet

Post by Aqualab »

Hi - I received my dad's Snap On tools that he had acquired over the years as a Chevy mechanic during the 50's through the 70's. His 3/8" ratchet - model F71-C is stripped out and I would like to repair it... I contacted Snap ON in the hopes of getting a repair kit for it but they are no longer available. Is there another model Snap On ratchet repair kit that can be substituted that would work? Or maybe a website that may have old stock that I could check with? Snap On was nice enough to honor the warranty and will be shipping me a replacement ratchet but I would like to repair my dad's for the sentimental value. Appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Regards,
Bill
snapmom

Re: F71-C Ratchet

Post by snapmom »

What parts do you need, I may have.
Aqualab

Post by Aqualab »

Hi - snapmom - I'm not sure exactly???? I didn't take it apart because I didn't have the replacement kit but it basically just spins both ways in either the off or on position and a very loose/sloppy feel. I suppose it could be a worn out spring or the drive/gear is stripped out? I was going to just replace the guts with a kit but I guess that is no longer an option... I am presently out of town but will take it apart when I get back and see if I can pinpoint the actual worn out part or parts. Thank you for the reply!
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Sometimes, It just needs a good clean out and lube.
Aqualab

Post by Aqualab »

Okay - i'll take it apart and clean it good and inspect the parts when I get home in a couple of weeks... presently working on a project in Canada. What is the recommended lube - is it a Snap On proprietary oil or can I use something else? Thanks again for the suggestions. Maybe I can post some pictures on here of the parts after I break it down and if you don't mind, could you possibly take a look to see if they appear worn out to you?
Regards,
Bill
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

use oil on the paw and spring, light grease on the wheel
Aqualab

Post by Aqualab »

Hi snapmom - I disassembled the ratchet and soaked it in lighter fluid to clean out all the gunk and inspect - the pawl is very worn, the on/off lever pin is no good and the spring for the ball is destroyed (actually came out in two pieces). The main gear appears to be in good condition, the teeth are still sharp. Is it possible that another kit's spring, pawl and lever/pin would work in my ratchet?

Thanks,
Bill
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

I have the parts you need, the paw is used but looks in decent condition. So, post me your address and I will send them to you, or you can send me the rat and I will refurb it for you.
Aqualab

Post by Aqualab »

Hi snapmom - thank you, its very generous of you. I would definitely like to send it to you and have you give it the once over and refurb as necessary. Please let me know where to send it and I will include money for the return shipping as well as whatever the replacement/repair parts cost.

Regards,
Bill
Aqualab

Post by Aqualab »

I wanted to thank snapmom again for being so gracious and repairing my dad's F-710 (not an F-71C - my bad eyes) ratchet for me as well as giving it a good cleaning and polish. Looks and works great!