refinish tool boxes

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
sierra

refinish tool boxes

Post by sierra »

I have a set of snap-on tool boxes that have been setting in a closed in barn for years! I'm going to try to clean them up the best I can, or get them repainted. I'm thinking about getting estimates from body shops and I need a paint color code. Does any one know a snap on color code,or is it worth the investment to get the boxes repainted. I purchased the set new in 1982. Roll cab 7 drawer# KRA380/side cabinet# KR274A/ 2 drawer section# KRA428B/ 3 drawer section# KRA429B/ top chest 9 drawer# KRA59E.
Attachments
picture
picture
0002.jpg (64.5 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Re: refinish tool boxes

Post by Frank Murch »

I used rustoleum red, Others have powder coated them. Snap on will sell you paint, but I think it is hugely expensive. I believe it is a polyurethane and can also be matched with a car paint finish. Maybe somebody has a better answer - not sure
sierra

Post by sierra »

Frank, THANKS for the reply! When I'm finished restoring the boxes I will put them in my garage and retire the tools and boxes. I'm going to start collecting more snap-on tools to add with the tools in the boxes. I also have craftsman tools and boxes that I will use and wear out.
sierra

Post by sierra »

Just refinished boxes. Boxes and all drawers were sandblasted and powder coated inside and out. They look better to me now than when I purchased them in 1980. Cleaned and used original hardware. Soaked drawer slides in Evaporust, slides came out like new. Roll cab had small rust spot on bottom. After refinish, I braced inside bottom floor of roll cab with 1/8" thick aluminum plate and added 1/8" thick 1"x1" angled aluminum braces on top of aluminum plate, then thru bolted pieces together. Bolted on new 5x2 casters.
Attachments
boxes
boxes
IMG00193.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
boxes
boxes
IMG00192.jpg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
boxes
boxes
IMG00164.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
Nightshift

Post by Nightshift »

Beautiful refurb! They do look brand new. Good for another 30 years now before the next refurb! Bill
lecarnoplayspolo09

Post by lecarnoplayspolo09 »

Hey sierra, I found an old snap on tool cart with the same end cabinet as yours has. how did you find the part number for it? because mine also has a screwdriver lock box that needs a new key.
-Thanks!
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Post by Frank Murch »

Really great job!!!!!
sierra

Post by sierra »

lecarnoplayspolo09,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but working night shift and not getting on the computer lately. Model numbers are located on the back of the box, on the bottom. Also, I had all my old snap on receipts and I had the 1980/1982 Snap-On tool catalogs, that I matched the model numbers. I have seen old style locks/keys, on ebay.

Thanks
sierra
lecarnoplayspolo09

Post by lecarnoplayspolo09 »

awesome! i found it! how much did they charge you for the paint job?
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »