Snap on Red / Tool Chest Restoration

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
SteveK46825
Your Location: Indiana

Snap on Red / Tool Chest Restoration

Post by SteveK46825 »

Hey Folks -

I'm going to be taking my first stab at restoration of a mid 60's Snap on top chest.

I have access to a local powder coater that has done very good work for me on wheels / auto parts and the like for reasonable cost. However, if I want a custom color, he usually likes that I pick up the material. I have used powder buy the pound in the past.

I have seen references to PPG Ditzler 73504 / AR320 Resin as being the correct color for mid 60's boxes.

My question is, has any one purchased correct snap on red powder? If yes, what source / vendor did you get it from.

Powder Buy The Pound doesnt have any reference to PPG colors on their site, although they do say the will custom make powder (color match). I wanted to ask the question here before I went down the custom mix path.

Anyone have any experience with this?

SK

PS: I am going the powder coat path because these guys do such a excellent job at reasonable cost. They usually can powder coat my parts faster than I can spray them!