Replacing the Detent ball on a L-715 Ratchet

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
dimwittedmoose51
Your Location: NE Iowa

Replacing the Detent ball on a L-715 Ratchet

Post by dimwittedmoose51 »

Hi: I recently acquired an L-715 ratchet that's in decent shape for its 1953 date cod except the detent ball/spring assembly is missing and won't hold a socket. Short of sdpending the $20 for the rebuild kit on ebay, are there any other options to fix just the drive area?? TIA

DM&FS
snapmom

Re: Replacing the Detent ball on a L-715 Ratchet

Post by snapmom »

call Snap on and they will send you a free rebuild kit.
dimwittedmoose51

Yeah, that didn't work so well the the last time. I had a Snappy black handled screwdriver with the grip failing and took it to the truck guy. He said I needed to contact Snapon.com and have them take care of it. Boy, they sure did. To get warranty on the screwdriver handle I had to send in the screwdriver at my expense along with the receipt showing i had bought it from them and then they'd replace the handle. I''m pretty sure NOONE has their receipts from when the black handled screwdrivers were sold, including mje, so their other option was for me to send it in and for $17, they'd replace the handle, but it wouldn't be black. MAC still does the swap outs on ratchets and other tools, but Snappy has fallen short on customer service in my book. Maybe my non-existent account with them is to blame..... I'l try your route one more time Snapmom, but not holsding my breath!!

DM&FS
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

It is does not work, holler at me. I may have one.
Mac warranty, I had to send in one of my nice old Mac rats (at my expense}, they replaced it with a gearwrench rat made in China.
dimwittedmoose51

I think I'd send it back and ask if their crew in India can spell.......lol

MAx
rdwaaw
Your Location: Minnesota

Post by rdwaaw »

To my knowledge S/O doesn't warranty screwdriver driver handles. Haven't ever been given a reason as to why. Probably, hammers. Mac's swap out program works fine if it's on the truck & you can find a truck!! Had a plastic handle, bent ratchet. Handle came off first time any real torque was put to it. When I found a truck it took 3 months for him to get a replacement!!!
If you have trouble getting a kit I should have one. Had a tough time keeping a truck in my area so I keep kits on hand. Would need your old parts to get credit.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

SO has replaced the old type screwdrivers with the stinky handles. Where you a Mac dealer?
dimwittedmoose51

No.
rdwaaw
Your Location: Minnesota

Post by rdwaaw »

Over the years dealers told me handles weren't warrantied. Haven't had the need to pursue it.
I've never been a mac dealer and thankfully I don't own many of their tools!!!!!
I go on-site for most of my work & tried to keep a good relationship with all the tool trucks. Now I find a S/O truck and get the tools &service I expect!
HLAV1
Your Location: INDIANA

Post by HLAV1 »

I am still not understanding why the truck guy told you to do it yourself? It does not matter where you got it from, it is warranted forever. The only issue I can see is if they do not make the kit anymore, in that case they are supposed to replace the whole ratchet. I have never had had a truck guy not get something taken care of. And as far as screwdrivers usually the bit is the only thing warranted and swapped out, but I have had some replaced so many times the handle would not hold the bit in anymore and then they replaced the whole thing.