Mystery Cylinder Head wrench S-8676

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
madprofessor
Your Location: Virginia Beach

Mystery Cylinder Head wrench S-8676

Post by madprofessor »

Looking for this wrench model #S-8676. It is not date stamped. It looks like item B on page 83 of 1953 catalog, labelled "Not available." That is the only image I have found of it in all of the catalogs.
Attachments
DSC_6452.JPG
DSC_6452.JPG (128.36 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Re: Mystery Cylinder Head wrench S-8676

Post by Frank Murch »

I looked at the catalog and - yes - it looks like a picture was printed, with no number or description and no re appearance. It is not listed in the catalogs.

I am just guessing, but it is a cylinder head wrench. It is not a common one. So the engine it fits is probably not common.

In that general area I am thinking it might be for a tractor, or maybe “Studebaker and Packard” that went out of business about this time. They had the Lark 1959 and the Avanti in 1958. Maybe something like that
madprofessor
Your Location: Virginia Beach

Post by madprofessor »

I'm not sure that it holds as a rule, but I've noticed that the truck / tractor tools do not have the S prefix, but rather start with M or N. I have come across several special tools from the late 40s / early 50s that are not listed in the general catalogs. The first mention I have found of Cylinder head wrenches is in 1939 which has 2 Buick-Chevy units listed. I am thinking they may have made them, but they didn't list everything yet. By the time they did start listing them, it is possible this model was considered obsolete. Or maybe it is for a military special app like Willy's Jeep? Could they have published lists of special application tools that were not listed in the general catalogs prior to that?
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Post by Frank Murch »

Great points. I do know that N is normally railroad. You thin M- is a farm related tool? Maybe!!
Truckguy64
Your Location: Saginaw,Mi.

Post by Truckguy64 »

I have this wrench. S-8676. Thanks,Keith.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »

Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт