KRH300D restoration. Need help from other kr300 owners

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Hendrik
Your Location: ontario

KRH300D restoration. Need help from other kr300 owners

Post by Hendrik »

Hi
I have just picked up what I believe is a krh300d from 1958.
I got it at an auction for $75. It has some battle scars that are going to take some work to repair. It was repainted an done horribly so I have begun stripping all the paint off. I can't seem to find the serial number to confirm age. Any ideas? It is not in the middle on the back.
Thanks for your help
Attachments
snap on3.JPG
snap on3.JPG (125.02 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
snap on2.JPG
snap on2.JPG (133.35 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
snap on1.JPG
snap on1.JPG (144.38 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
macother
Your Location: United States

Re: KRH300D restoration. Need help from other kr300 owners

Post by macother »

It may not have one, it may have one and it's not located in the middle, and it may be a 300B. The handles indicate it's possibly older, logo could be back as far as about 54. Date stamps are not congruent, may be found anywhere, but usually lower and not centered on the rear. Earliest stamps I've seen are from 54, but not all have them, and most did not prior to about 58.
Hendrik

Post by Hendrik »

Ok thanks for the help and the sad news. :( I was really hoping to find the number. I have stripped the majority of the paint off the out side and didnt see even a hint of one.
Are these boxes with the sliding front door common? I have never seen one before I bought it other then researching this site.
I think its pretty cool and cant wait to finish it.
I will post some pictures when its all done but it will probably be alittle while, it wasnt exactly looked after too well and I will have to do some patch work.
Thanks again
Hendrik

Post by Hendrik »

After going over the catalogs on this site, I think this box must be a 1956 or 57. It has the same drawer handles that the '55 has but it has the same Snap on badge as the '58. it didnt come with a push hanlde though.
macother

Post by macother »

Those are great boxes, probably more style than any other roll cab. The sound of the doors being rolled up in the morning at the shop, nothing but nostalgia now, but that went on all over the country (world) from the late '30's till not long ago. Considering how many mechanics had them, I'm surprised there's not more of them for sale. A lot of mechanics got frustrated with the lock, welded on hasps and shackles or locking bars, yours doesn't have any of that, fortunately. Good luck with it, it'll last a long time.
macother

Post by macother »

As far as judging when things changed or were introduced by the catalogs, there's a lot of variation, and it's not exact. Many times the pictures in the catalog remain from an older iteration, sometims years after the box or tool has changed. More true on the boxes than the tools, and some times even though the picture is carried forward and out of date, the description would be updated.
I'll put up a few pictures, examples of some of the changes and my understanding of the dates.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »