Need help with toolbox model/age

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
kstauffer
Your Location: Pennsylvania

Need help with toolbox model/age

Post by kstauffer »

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and just came across it this evening as I was searching for Snapon tool box information. I have my Grandfather's toolbox (big snapon fan) from many many years ago. I suspect it has to be from between the late 1930's and mid 1950's. I could find no model number on the box but in the database on this site I found one that looked similar; a KR-300 or 377. I was thinking about restoring it and I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance guys.

snapmom

Re: Need help with toolbox model/age

Post by snapmom »

Its looks like a K300 from the mid to late 40s. just clean it up and use it.
http://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalog ... ogPage=924
kstauffer
Your Location: Pennsylvania

Post by kstauffer »

Thanks snapmom; at least it gives me an idea or the age.
macother
Your Location: United States

Post by macother »

Providing it hasn't been altered in any way, the clues for dating your Grandfather's box are:

LOGO- that style was phased out after the war, and was replaced completely by 1948 with the rectangular label.

HANDLES- that version was present throughout the 40's and 50's, but the rivets that hold it on went from a coppery luster to a zinc luster during the war, and then back again, can't tell from your pictures.

TRIM- The vertical chrome trim pieces narrow it down a lot. Only present on the first ones produced before the war, and then again after the war, so that rules out 41-45, though I've been told the chrome wasn't removed before '42.

If you could provide another picture or two, the way the sub assembly for the friction slides, at the very top edge, this was a folded over edge after '46 or so, but was a straight edge in the original configuration. I've also seen different weld points attaching the sides and back to the base, but I don't have a clear idea when those changes occurred.

My guess is it's the earliest production, 38~41. That's a real beauty, keep it dry, it'll last forever.

EDIT Does it have the tambour door still? Look behind the hinged lock plate.

EDIT picture of the door
20141119_124607999.jpg
20141119_124607999.jpg (223.47 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »