Vintage Snap-On Toolboxes Bottom Box Lock Assembly

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
NAM1983
Your Location: Land of milk and cheese

Vintage Snap-On Toolboxes Bottom Box Lock Assembly

Post by NAM1983 »

I just picked these boxes up on CL. I was going to get them powder coated, but I really like the patina on the boxes for now. I couldn't find SO part# on it though. The bottom box is missing all the lock, lock assembly to lock that lower box. Does anyone have picture of what that assembly would look like?

Thanks!

macother
Your Location: United States

Re: Vintage Snap-On Toolboxes Bottom Box Lock Assembly

Post by macother »

Great find! Don't paint it, looks well cared for. There won't be any manufacturer's stamp, might have U.S.A. on the gusset welded backing plate on the inside of the lid to the top chest. Look in the catalog's, '39, '42, '46. The drawer configurations on the rollers vary from the pictures and descriptions sometimes. I don't believe that one had a locking assembly, just a glove hole.
NAM1983
Your Location: Land of milk and cheese

Post by NAM1983 »

Thanks for the information and with your help I was able to find that it's a 1950 top and bottom box. The top box is KR-56 and the bottom box is a KR-351. My question now is because the previous owner sprayed the handles black. The picture in the catalog almost looks silver or gray. Here is the link....

http://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalog ... gPage=1128
bosco2
Your Location: Arizona

Post by bosco2 »

I have the same KR-56 top box as you and am cleaning it up. It also has a black color to the outside door handle. I believe that to be the original color as I bought it from the original owners daughter (elderly, like me). Along with it I got a K300 that I have not started on yet. Based on the catlog info, I put them at 1948.
NJDOTWRENCH
Your Location: New Jersey

Post by NJDOTWRENCH »

Hello, I have the same top section, it was my Father's from the late 40's.......The bottom was lost in transit some time ago. I am trying to restore the top section as of now. I am looking for a drawer section and just joined the site. If you ever decide to upgrade or sell, please let me know. Regards, Rob
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »