Snap on KRA-555b jammed...

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
agabriel
Your Location: NH

Snap on KRA-555b jammed...

Post by agabriel »

Hello,
So I finally have the space for a roller chest and found a solid '83 KRA-555b on Craigslist for home use. I needed to put it on its back for the ride home and now it needs to be adjusted. The lock jammed and the key ended up breaking off. A locksmith is coming out for other reasons and they are going to try to extract the remains of the key. Now I have two primary questions:

1) Why did the lock jam? It worked great a before being placed on its back.

2) How do I fix the jam and how do you tell it is cleared? I'm concerned that fixing the lock isn't going to fix the bigger problem.

Also, does anyone have a pictures showing the locking mechanism?

Thanks,
Anthony
snapy64

Re: Snap on KRA-555b jammed...

Post by snapy64 »

there is a sliding bar at the back of the box that catches on a tab at the back of each drawer to lock it, sometimes by laying it on its back some small leftover piece of something falls out and jams that. At the back on the bottom you will see a small plate held in by two rivets, you can drill out the rivets and then can push up on the locking bar to get the box open, the is also a small spring attached to the plate and to the bottom of the bar that keeps tension on the bar when locked. From the key lock the is a rod that goes to the back that lifts and lowers the locking bar. Once you get the drawers open it is best to remove them and clean out anything that is left inside - I have seen paper, gasket material and other misc. junk get to the back and jam things up.
agabriel

Post by agabriel »

This is very helpful - thank you. I will go looking for the small plate on the back, underneath.

Assuming the two rivets need to be drilled, do you know what size they typically are?

Thanks,
Anthony
agabriel

Post by agabriel »

I just took a look underneath the box and I did not see anything riveted in... Any more thoughts?

Anthony
Attachments
bottom.jpg
bottom.jpg (227.69 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
snapy64

Post by snapy64 »

then what I used to do on that style was use a hole saw and make a hole below the bar
macother
Your Location: United States

Post by macother »

Not an expert here, but I've watched while the Snap~On man turned the chest onto it's side, or upside down, gravity being the force that does the magic. This method has also worked for me on a few of those finicky side bar locking systems.
agabriel

Post by agabriel »

I flipped it the other day and when the locksmith came out today to remove the key, it worked like a champ!
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »