K-55W dead front?

A section for restoring tool boxes, advice or ratchet repair and how to care for tools.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
N8N
Your Location: Rockville, MD

K-55W dead front?

Post by N8N »

Good evening everyone, first post here. Joined up because I just picked up what I believe to be a K-55W over the weekend for a price that made it worth it even with lots of paint loss and no dead front.

I do have the ability to draw stuff up in CAD and could knock together a functional design for a replacement dead front so I could have one bent up at a local sheetmetal shop. However, if anyone has one of these boxes and would be willing to take some pics of that part so I could make my replacement as close to original as possible, I'd really appreciate it.

Also does anyone know if there's a readily available close match to the wrinkle grey? I may paint the inside and outside bottom of the box as well as the dead front even if I leave all the rest in patina just because I hate rust more than I like originality. I am planning on using this to keep all my taps, dies, Helicoils, thread chasers, things like that in. I was hoping that it was Kennedy made but when I got it home and set it next to my Kennedy 526 I could see that while they look somewhat similar the Snap-On is not only deeper but much sturdier as well, and the (still available, naturally) Kennedy dead front almost but just not quite fits.

Also, the lock is busted... if anyone has a good replacement or recommendation for where to purchase same I'm all ears. I can bend the lid and catch on the box back into place but the hook on the back of the lock cylinder is long gone and the body of the cylinder is busted, so even with the numbers that does me no good. Again, pics would help a lot.

Thanks to anyone who can help, and also wanted to say that this site was a great help ID'ing the box in the first place.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Re: K-55W dead front?

Post by Gregorygoard »