Blue Point raised letter combination wrenches.

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
snapmom

Blue Point raised letter combination wrenches.

Post by snapmom »

Looking for some information on Blue Point raised letter combination wrenches. Does anyone have one with a clear date code? Do you have one larger than 1". Does anyone know if they show up in any catalog?
snapmom

Re: Blue Point raised letter combination wrenches.

Post by snapmom »

The AA site says these were made 35-37. But there are some of these over 1", and over one inch in combination wrenches show up in 1939. So AA is probably wrong. So I am thinking these are war time made for the military. War finish, crudely made. lets get this straight, What do you guys think?
macother
Your Location: United States

Post by macother »

I've learned so much on this site, and I'd like to engage in this particular conversation, but to save my life I can't comprehend how to post pictures.

[[URL=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/ricor ... 5.jpg.html]
macother
Your Location: United States

Post by macother »

What I'd like to depict is the fact that the combination wrench (7/8) states it's dimension on both ends.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Yes, yes it's dimension are also on the shaft, and not on the head, so this points to 30s, as stamped BP combination wrenches had the dimension on the shaft until the late 30s where it was moved to the head,(there are some 46-47 combs that have it in the body) but it also had USA on the shaft, the made in USA usually does not show up till about 1937
Ferret
Your Location: Minnesota

Post by Ferret »

I’ve got some larger than one inch, but I can’t find a date code on any of them. Maybe I don’t know where to look.
Attachments
IMG_4484.JPG
IMG_4484.JPG (137.32 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG (139.88 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
IMG_4482.JPG
IMG_4482.JPG (173.81 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

These show up in the UK, So that's another piece that says they are war era, where as SO shows up there starting in about 1938
zaveyshuda
Your Location: pennsylvania

Post by zaveyshuda »

I have one of them, no date code tho
thinman
Your Location: Kansas City, MO

Post by thinman »

I'm new to this forum and just saw Snapmom's question about the old Blue Point raised letter combination wrenches. I have wrenches 13/16" through 1-1/8". All are in very good condition. I don't see a date code but I'm not sure I know where to look. Would post photos but I don't know how to do that.

I got the wrenches from my Dad. Don't know many details on their origin but I recall that he told me he got them not long after he came back from overseas in WWII (that would have been 1945). He used the Blue Points as his home set and carried a set of Plumb/Proto wrenches in his truck for work (construction equipment).

I recall he didn't particularly like the Blue Points, said something about being harder to clean than chrome plated wrenches because of the rough finish. If I remember right, he said the Blue Points were cadmium plated rather than chrome because of war shortage of chrome.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Nice to have your dad's tools. Good info. Welcome to the site.