Help with identifying socket set

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
willyfixit
Your Location: Minnesota

Help with identifying socket set

Post by willyfixit »

Can anyone help identify this socket set pictured below? I inherited the Snap-On socket set owned by Gideon Gagne, an engineer at SO in the early days and who is named on several of their patents. I am married to his granddaughter and while cleaning out his son's basement I ran across the socket set. The ratchet has a model # L-71 but no other markings. The sockets are marked with LS-300 1/2 as an example and there is a "4" marked on each. I am looking for any information on this set and would really appreciate the help. I looked in some of the old catalogs on this site but did not find a match.
socket-set.jpg
socket-set.jpg (206.88 KiB) Viewed 563 times
ratchet-head.jpg
ratchet-head.jpg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Attachments
socket-marking.jpg
socket-marking.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 563 times
snapmom

Re: Help with identifying socket set

Post by snapmom »

It is a set from about 1937. Only shows up in the new adds supplement.
If you would like to sell it, I would be interested in buying it.
willyfixit
Your Location: Minnesota

Post by willyfixit »

Thanks for the quick response. What does the "4" stamped on the socket indicate? A piece of trivia - Gideon was a lawyer and didn't like it so he started designing tools.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

It is probably a date code for 1934. Would need a pic to confirm.
Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »

Gregorygoard
Your Location: Zambia

Post by Gregorygoard »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо