K-21 Toolbox

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
rmason
Your Location: Brandon FL USA

K-21 Toolbox

Post by rmason »

Gentlemen,

I recently found this toolbox at a flea market, cost me very little. I thought it was very similar to my KRA-21 but didn't realize it was a Snap-On box until I got it to my truck.

It looks like a K-21, it has very little rust, is not beat up and still has the tool tray in the top and the small slide out tray in the bottom drawer. If it weren't for the primer splotches I'd leave the paint as is, but I'd like to paint it back to it's original color. The catalog says it should be a slate gray, right now what's on it looks more like an olive gray; can anyone tell what a close paint in a spray can would be? Or maybe something that could be bought in a small quantity and shot from a gun?

There appears to be an oval decal on the top under the non-original paint; would anyone have a picture of that decal or sticker? Are reproduction decals available for this box?

Any help is appreciated,
Ray
Attachments
K-21-4.jpg
K-21-4.jpg (112.02 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
K-21-1.jpg
K-21-1.jpg (213.85 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Oldtuleguy
Your Location: United States

Re: K-21 Toolbox

Post by Oldtuleguy »

I think I have seen some of oval decals on ebay
rmason

Post by rmason »

Thanks for the reply, Oldtuleguy,

I had seen where someone had offered the vintage oval style but it looked like they were no longer offering them. I see this morning they're available again, so now I can get a decal.
Still hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a close color of paint.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

I have never found a good paint match in a spray can. There is Rust Oleum Camouflage that will do. I have took a box to the paint store, where they matched, and I air sprayed. There are a lot of different Greys in the Grey color era.
rmason

Post by rmason »

Thanks for the reply Snapmom,

Yep, lots of gray areas and shades of gray here...
Would that be the Rustoleum Deep Forest Green Camouflage paint that you're referring to?

Ray
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Yes, yes it is. Get a can and try it out.
rmason

Post by rmason »

Thank you Snapmom,
I certainly will!
Ray
Oldtuleguy
Your Location: United States

Post by Oldtuleguy »

I have used that rustoleum dark forest green before it is a pretty close match
JeepFan
Your Location: Panama City, Florida

Post by JeepFan »

I did go to the store to look at that color. The cap color has a distinctive green tint to it. Does that seem right?
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

They could have changed it. It is an OD drab green.